Batch of 2020
There are a lot of people who are unlucky. But this is on a different level. For all of us who are graduating this year, I can’t even start how much unlucky we are.
We never asked for anything much, we just wanted to graduate like the previous batch, while making a few more memories before the end of our college lives or for some of us, it’s the end of our education altogether, yeah but learning is a lifelong process.
But even something normal like that is too much to ask for these days. While some guy munched on a bat in the neighboring country, we just wrote our exams while planning to have some fun in our last semester. Then, it began.
In its inception, we heard a few rumors of this new virus affecting people somewhere and how some of them were even dying. Shouldn’t put it up like this. But viruses are not new to us. We had heard stories of Ebola virus and how people were dying in West Africa due to that. And not to forget, this another virus called Nipah virus, which also haunted the country for a few weeks maybe?
So, the tales of Corona from distant lands weren’t of much concern to me. It had begun to spread and cases were being reported but it didn’t matter much. Hell, a case was reported right here in the city and yet, we weren’t that worried. Well, why would we?
I remember back in 2009 or 2010, when there were cases of swine flu being reported everywhere. My school stopped conducting morning assembly altogether. I didn’t know the reason back then, but now I know. During this time, a girl in the class next to mine fell sick and went home. Then, without any proper information, the fear of swine flu spread like wildfire in the school. It was only a week later, when we realized that the panic was totally unnecessary.
I thought Corona would also be something on the lines of that. But no! This was something that was unexpected. With the caller tunes of Corona virus on our phones, we started to realize the seriousness of this.
But our time was also running out. Another 3 months, the semester would be over and with the shadow of corona looming over us, we only had the option to make memes on Corona. And with the college shutting down and most of my friends slowly disappearing to their homes in far-flung districts, I had to just forget the part of making memories.
And with the lock down in place, everything just became more worse. Yeah, I do get to see my friends on video calls but this was something which should have happened a few months later, i.e. after the end of the semester.
And of course, the fest got canceled. Which just meant no new pictures in ethnic wear. Hell, I wanted to take a picture with my buddies, all of us dressed in our best traditional wear and of course, this picture would go up on Instagram with the caption “Family for 4 years”. I had it all planned out but the guy in China had to eat a bat.
My school didn’t give my batch a farewell. Yeah, that’s pretty sad. The school in which I studied for 12 years, didn’t even bother to give a farewell. But seeing the various farewells in college, I felt exhilarated. At least, it’s not the same here, I thought. But fate had something else in store because some man in China ordered a bat for dinner instead of something normal.
Ranting over here wouldn’t help definitely, but for the people reading this. You guys have one job to do, you can stay home and end this menace. Because my school didn’t even have a graduation day for us. And, if we all stay home, our batch could at least get a graduation day. I've it all planned out, just don’t ruin it for me like that guy in China ruined it for all of us. Let’s hope this isn’t the end.
Go Corona! Go Corona! (This is as futile as this blog).
Stay home guys and stay safe.
We never asked for anything much, we just wanted to graduate like the previous batch, while making a few more memories before the end of our college lives or for some of us, it’s the end of our education altogether, yeah but learning is a lifelong process.
But even something normal like that is too much to ask for these days. While some guy munched on a bat in the neighboring country, we just wrote our exams while planning to have some fun in our last semester. Then, it began.
In its inception, we heard a few rumors of this new virus affecting people somewhere and how some of them were even dying. Shouldn’t put it up like this. But viruses are not new to us. We had heard stories of Ebola virus and how people were dying in West Africa due to that. And not to forget, this another virus called Nipah virus, which also haunted the country for a few weeks maybe?
So, the tales of Corona from distant lands weren’t of much concern to me. It had begun to spread and cases were being reported but it didn’t matter much. Hell, a case was reported right here in the city and yet, we weren’t that worried. Well, why would we?
I remember back in 2009 or 2010, when there were cases of swine flu being reported everywhere. My school stopped conducting morning assembly altogether. I didn’t know the reason back then, but now I know. During this time, a girl in the class next to mine fell sick and went home. Then, without any proper information, the fear of swine flu spread like wildfire in the school. It was only a week later, when we realized that the panic was totally unnecessary.
I thought Corona would also be something on the lines of that. But no! This was something that was unexpected. With the caller tunes of Corona virus on our phones, we started to realize the seriousness of this.
But our time was also running out. Another 3 months, the semester would be over and with the shadow of corona looming over us, we only had the option to make memes on Corona. And with the college shutting down and most of my friends slowly disappearing to their homes in far-flung districts, I had to just forget the part of making memories.
And with the lock down in place, everything just became more worse. Yeah, I do get to see my friends on video calls but this was something which should have happened a few months later, i.e. after the end of the semester.
And of course, the fest got canceled. Which just meant no new pictures in ethnic wear. Hell, I wanted to take a picture with my buddies, all of us dressed in our best traditional wear and of course, this picture would go up on Instagram with the caption “Family for 4 years”. I had it all planned out but the guy in China had to eat a bat.
My school didn’t give my batch a farewell. Yeah, that’s pretty sad. The school in which I studied for 12 years, didn’t even bother to give a farewell. But seeing the various farewells in college, I felt exhilarated. At least, it’s not the same here, I thought. But fate had something else in store because some man in China ordered a bat for dinner instead of something normal.
Ranting over here wouldn’t help definitely, but for the people reading this. You guys have one job to do, you can stay home and end this menace. Because my school didn’t even have a graduation day for us. And, if we all stay home, our batch could at least get a graduation day. I've it all planned out, just don’t ruin it for me like that guy in China ruined it for all of us. Let’s hope this isn’t the end.
Go Corona! Go Corona! (This is as futile as this blog).
Stay home guys and stay safe.

That's a heartfelt write-up....Hope for good.
ReplyDelete